The Dream Unfinished
An Activist Orchestra
Founded in 2015, The Dream Unfinished (TDU) is an activist orchestra, whose mission is to use classical music as a platform to engage audiences in dialogues surrounding social and racial justice.
TDU accomplishes this through the following:
Each year, TDU selects a social justice issue, which dictates our artistic programming.
This year’s season, SANCTUARY, centers on America's current and historic immigration crisis, and does so through artists who have roots here and elsewhere. It will feature the music of Tania Leon, Huang Ruo, George Walker, Vijay Iyer, and Kareem Roustom, and include a performance by Vijay Iyer and Jennifer Koh.
TDU's performances are never just performances. Our chamber concerts have included panel discussions, dramatic portrayals of our composers, and musician talk backs, and our orchestral performances have included interactive art installations, and speakers who have ranged from Kimberle Crenshaw, Vince Warren, to the late Erica Garner. In each season we have also partnered with social justice organizations such as the Center for Constitutional Rights and Black Women's Blueprint, to promote their missions and ongoing campaigns in this work.
WORK WITH PRACTITIONERS
TDU has presented our work to the following institutions:
The Dalton School
Carnegie Hall's National Youth Orchestra and NYO2
Carnegie Hall's Music Educators Workshop
Carnegie Hall's PlayUSA Network
Community MusicWorks Network
Harvard University's Graduate Music Forum
New York University
Arts in a Changing America
The Kennedy Center/SHIFT Festival
We are honored to work with practitioners who are in the positions to influence and shape the industry, who we hope to inspire to dig deeper, ask more questions, and ask more of themselves.
- Frederica Stines — Co-Chair*
- Nancy Kleaver — Co-Chair*
- Fred Humphrey — Treasurer*
- Lee Bynum — Development Committee Co-Chair*
- Gary Padmore — Development Committee Co-Chair*
- Fernanda Douglas — Associate Producer, Secretary*
- Eun Lee — Executive Director*
- Vince Warren — Programming Committee*
- Maria Del Naja — General Manager
- Eric Lemmon — Orchestra Manager
- Kyle Walker — Chamber Concert Producer
- Emily Kalish — Chamber Concert Producer
- David Bloom — Artistic Advisor
- Alice Bacon — Graphic/Web designer
- Milton X. Trujillo — Advisor
- Jennie Allen — Marketing Coordinator
*Asterisk denotes board membership